The 6 human needs is a concept that I learned on my life coaching training and it’s a concept that was developed by Tony Robbins and Cloe Madanes. And it is, in fact, something I really use during my coaching process because I find that it allows the person to know himself/herself a lot better and helps them to really understand why they behave the way they do and how can they improve on the areas they want to.
So in this post, I’m going to share with you a little bit more about the 6 human needs and I will give an exercise to identify yours.
What are the 6 human needs?
According to human needs psychology, there is always a reason why we behave the way we do, and this is based on our basic needs. These basic needs are six and they can be interpreted in thousands of ways, but we all have them. And the difference between one person and another is that we value them differently. So, the top two needs that you value the most are the ones that will drive and lead your life.
Uncertainty / Variety
Connection and Love
Based on this descriptions ask yourself these questions and try to reflect on them so that you can change the behavior or the situation that is currently keeping you from achieving all the things you want to.
- Think of the biggest problem you have right now in your life.
- How is this problem affecting you, is it costing you something or those around you?
- Is it constructive or destructive?
- Which needs are you meeting by having this problem?
- Which are your top two needs?
- If this problem disappeared, what would you do? how would you behave? who would you be?
- What are you determined to do to change the problem? Make an action plan
- Think of some solutions or other things you can do if you find yourself reacting or behaving in the same way, what can you do to interrupt this behavior?
- Imagine yourself solving this problem, what can you do with your body, your way of thinking or your language that could support this solution?
- Who in your life could support you to make this change?